Lutheran Advocacy Ministry-New Mexico has been an active ministry of the Rocky Mountain Synod-ELCA since 1984 and has effectively advocated as one of the state public policy offices of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America through ELCA World Hunger.
- Develops an Advocacy Agenda that identifies positions on issues that are firmly rooted in ELCA Social Statements, Resolutions and Messages
- Maintains an active presence at the state legislature and with executive agencies
- Studies and gathers information to present in public policy forums
- Shares information on Lutheran Advocacy Ministry-NM issues with state legislators and executive branch officials
- Plans and develops organizational activities through the work of its Policy Committee
- Engages in discussions about public policy with ELCA congregations, individual members and ecumenical partners
- Works in an advocacy partnership with the Presbytery of Santa Fe and the New Mexico Conference of Churches
Public policy priorities for Lutheran Advocacy Ministry-NM are established by its Policy Committee and communicated to public policy makers, including legislators and administrative agencies, through the efforts of volunteer advocates from ELCA congregations, ecumenical and interfaith partners from around New Mexico and through the work of professional staff.